The weight loss food pyramid is similar to the regular food pyramid, only the daily caloric intake has been altered.
Understanding the Food Pyramid
Those that follow the weight loss food pyramid will have to stick to a 1200 calorie diet. This can be achieved by following the food pyramid guidelines. This diet does not eliminate any one food group, though it does require dieters to cut back on fat and sugar consumption. Paying attention to food labelling is a large part of this diet.
Tips to Losing Weight Using the Food Pyramid
Here are some basic weight loss tips that follow the weight loss food pyramid guidelines:
- Try to consume around 3 cups of low fat/no fat dairy products per day. Some products to consider include low-fat yogurt and low-fat cottage cheese — two great sources of calcium that aren’t laden with extra fat.
- Eat around three ounces (using a scale will help) of lean meats per day. Chicken, turkey, and lean hamburger meats are great for a low-fat/low-calorie diet.
- Three servings of vegetables should be consumed each day. Vegetables that are particularly good for you include cabbage, vegetable juice (make sure to purchase juice that does not include any added sugar or sodium), and lots of leafy salad greens.
- It is beneficial to consume two servings of fruit per day. Whole fruits and natural fruit smoothies are great options.
- 4 ounces of grains per day can be included in your weight loss diet. Whole grains (flax, whole wheat, and other whole grains) are best.
- Around 171 calories per day are left up to your discretion. Try and choose foods that are low in fat and sugar.
- The trick to following the weight loss food pyramid is to really pay attention to what you’re eating. Avoid foods that include lots of added sugar, watch out for processed foods, and try to stay away from foods that are high in fat.
- If you stick to a 1200 calorie diet, then you are bound to see results. In addition to the actual weight loss food pyramid (this can be easily found on-line), there are numerous books and other publications that outline the goal of the weight loss food pyramid.Â
- Some people may feel a bit low on energy after following a diet that is low in calories. In this case, a multi-vitamin or vitamin supplement might be a good idea. Also, if you happen to be extremely active, you may want to consider raising the amount of calories that you consume — you can still stick to the diet guidelines even if you add 100-200 more calories per day (important for athletes).