The Abs Diet was created by David Zinczenko and aims to guide individuals to lose weight on this six-week diet and exercise plan. The Abs Diet provides meal plans that focus on the acronym ABSDIETPOWER. The foods recommended on this diet fall into this acronym—Almonds, Beans, Dairy, Instant Oatmeal, Eggs, Turkey, Peanut butter, Olive oil, Whole-grain breads and cereals, Extra-protein powder and Raspberries.
Individuals will eat six small meals a day. This diet is designed so an individual will eat frequently, and therefore avoid feeling hungry. Below are several lunch ideas for dieters following the Abs Diet.
1. Deli Meat Sandwich
- 4 to 6 oz turkey or lean roast beef
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- ½ tbsp mustard
- 1 to 2 leaves lettuce
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 cup 1% or fat free milk
- 1 apple
Toast the bread and then smear slices with the mustard. Top the bread with the deli meat, tomato and lettuce. Enjoy this meal with a cup of milk and an apple.
2. Chicken Salad
- 2 oz chicken, grilled and sliced
- 1 cup romaine lettuce or spinach
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 tbsp reduced fat or fat free Italian dressing
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, toasted
For this quick and portable meal, simply combine all the above ingredients, except for the bread, and chill until ready to eat. Enjoy the salad with the slice of bread.
3. Tuna Salad Roll
- 3 oz light-oil packed tuna
- 1 6-inch whole wheat hoagie or sub roll
- 1/3 cup guacamole
- 2 tbsp chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp light or fat free mayonnaise
- ½ tsp ground flaxseed
Combine the tuna, guacamole, tomatoes, lemon juice, mayonnaise and flaxseed together. Mix until well blended. Top roll with tuna mixture.
4. BLT Wrap
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked
- 2 oz roasted turkey breast, sliced
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 2 tomato slices
- 2 lettuce leaves
- ¾ tbsp fat free mayonnaise
Spread the mayonnaise across the tortilla. Top the tortilla with the bacon, turkey breast, lettuce and tomato. Roll up and enjoy.
5. Spinach and Cheese Beef Burger
- ¼ lb lean ground beef
- ¼ egg, whisked
- 2 tbsp oats
- 1 1/3 tbsp onion, diced
- 2 tbsp spinach
- 1/3 tbsp reduced fat or fat free Mexican cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 apple
Add the above ingredients to a bowl and mix until well incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste. Form into a patty and heat burger on a grill or nonstick skillet. Cook until desired, and enjoy with carrots and an apple.
6. Cajun Rice
- ½ cup brown rice
- ¾ cup black beans, do not drain
- 1 tsp butter
- Hot sauce to taste
This lunch is cheap, quick and portable. Simply cook the rice according to directions ahead of time. Combine rice, beans (with liquid), butter and hot sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to eat. Microwave to warm and enjoy.
7. Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 2 oz chicken breast
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp olive oil
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup beans (navy or black), drained
- 2 tbsp carrots, minced
- ¼ cup corn
- 2 tbsp peeled tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 tbsp basil or parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp black pepper
In a saucepan, heat the oil over low heat. Add the chicken and onion and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the stock, carrots and beans. Bring soup to a boil and add corn and tomatoes. Cook for 15 minutes and enjoy.