The Scarsdale Medical Diet is a 14-day meal plan that strictly follows a list of foods that can be eaten daily to achieve weight loss of up to 20 lbs. In 1979, a New York physician named Herman Tarnower started the Scarsdale Medical dietary regime with the aim of providing specific foods in two important phases. The first phase is a two-week medical diet of high-protein, low-fat, low-calorie and low-carbohydrate foods, while the second one is the less structured and self-controlled maintenance program. This regime was introduced by Tarnower in his book, "The Complete Scarsdale Medical Diet," published in 1978.
Foods to Avoid
To make sure of your quick and maintained success under this diet plan, here is an outline of restricted foods that you should be checking at all times.
- Sweets: Candies, cakes, desserts and other sugary foods are prohibited. Instead of using sugar, artificial noncaloric sweeteners can be used for drinks and dishes. Only fruits and sugar-free Jell-O can be used as desserts.
- Butter, Margarine or Dairy Fat: If you want to scramble eggs, fry shellfish or cook other recommended foods, it would be better to use nonstick and oil-free vegetable sprays. For sandwiches, you should also skip peanut butter spread when you are on this diet plan.
- Potatoes, Pastas, Noodles and Flour-Based Foods: Carbohydrate-rich food sources are not allowed because they are just complex sugars.
- Alcoholic Beverages: Alcohol is strictly prohibited during the medical diet phase, but only restricted during the keep-trim program to at most 1½ oz. per day.
- Bread: Specifically, protein bread should be consumed in limited amounts. Only one slice during the first phase and two for the next phase. Note that white bread is not recommended as a substitute to protein bread.
- Eggs: More than three eggs per week is not allowed during the dietary plan.
- Sauces: For vegetables and meats, avoid rich and fatty sauces as seasoning.
- Vegetables: Vegetables such as avocados, corn, peas, yams, lentils and any beans can only be eaten if green or waxed. If you are to use olives, limit it to three jumbos or four small ones.
- Salad Dressing, Oil, Mayonnaise: Instead of using oily and rich dressings, prepare green salads using vinegar, lemon or vinaigrette.
- Poultry Skin and Fats: Visible fats and skin from chicken or turkey should be removed before eating.
- Coffee Mix: It is better to drink black, regular or decaffeinated coffee to quench your cravings. Coffee should not contain milk, honey or sugar.
- Power Bars and Protein Bars: Any meal replacement bars or shakes are not allowed during the entire diet regimen.
- Canned Fruits or Syrup: Whether light or heavy, syrups are a big no-no. Eat only canned fruits that are packed in their juices.
Strict obedience is the key to make the Scarsdale Medical Diet effective. Avoid foods that will ruin your diet so that you can see positive results. If satisfied enough with your weight loss, this can be made as a lifetime slimming and diet program to maintain a good body shape.