Cocoa nibs are a fun food to add your to your daily diet. You can eat them as they are, or add them to just about any food you like. They have a slightly bitter taste to them, but once you have them a few times, you will learn to love them. Cocoa nibs are crushed cocoa beans which grow on fruit trees in the tropical regions of South and Central America, as well as Africa and Asia.
Why Should You Add Cocoa Nibs to Your Food?
Not only will you learn to love the great taste in your food, but you will also be able to benefit from all the goodness they have to offer you. The serotonin, melatonin and tryptophan which they contain will help to reduce your stress and elevate your mood, and the high levels of antioxidants will help your body to get rid of all the free radicals and harmful toxins which tend to accumulate over time.
How to Add Cocoa Nibs to Your Food
Here are 12 delicious ways to add cocoa nibs to your food:
- Add them in with your favorite fruit shakes and smoothies. Add them in a few at a time until you reach a desired taste.
- Mix them in with your favorite trail mix of nuts and seeds to snack on in between meals.
- Add them to your coffee or tea for a mild chocolaty flavor. Note that the cocoa nibs may not melt right away, so you may want to stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle in your morning cereal or oatmeal. When adding them to your oatmeal, cook the oatmeal first, then add the cocoa nibs.
- Cocoa nibs are a great substitute for chocolate chips, raisins or nuts in all your baking. Simply substitute 1 cup cocoa nibs for every cup of chocolate chips, raisins or nuts. You can also go half and half by combining the cocoa nibs with the nuts or raisins. This is really good, especially for raisins!
- Add them in your favorite recipe for banana nut bread.
- Stir some cocoa nibs in with your pie fillings. Allow the pie filling to sit for a few minutes before adding the nibs to keep them from melting.
- If you like peanut butter, you can sprinkle some lightly roasted nibs on your peanut butter toast.
- For a cool treat, mix together with other nuts such as almonds, peanuts and walnuts. Then, add agave nectar or honey and press into a pie plate. Freeze until the nectar has become hardened, then cut and eat while frozen.
- Sprinkle on your waffles or pancakes.
- Stir in with your yogurt.
- Sprinkle on top of cake icings, cheesecakes or other desserts such as ice cream and puddings.
There is really no right or wrong way to add them to your food, just add them in a bit at a time until you figure out how much you like.
Cocoa nibs can be purchased at most health food stores either raw or lightly roasted. If you have never had cocoa nibs before, you may want to try the roasted ones first until you get used to the taste, as they are not as bitter. Another thing you can do to eliminate some of the bitterness is drizzle some agave nectar over them.